Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Noo! I deleted an email!

Just read something on Jason Fried's blog on a topic which has been bothering me a lot lately:

"However, we were tossing this idea around the table: Why not read an email and then instantly delete it? Why do we save emails? Why do we archive them in folders for safe keeping? We don’t save phone calls. We have a conversation on the phone and then we hang up. If we need to take notes for whatever reason we do, but 99% of phone calls are completely ephemeral. And if we forget something, or we need it again, we just make another call...." it continues on here.

Lately I have been using gmail for my personal email, which has been working great. Just an "archive" click and the things get out of the way, only to come back later when necessary in the "conversation" mode.

Now that is one thing I lack on Outlook, besides the search functionalities are crap so I installed the Yahoo search engine which at least lets you find things often. Nevertheless I usually find myself at a loss with the amount of work needed to archive things in my "inbox" and with inboxes with 50, 100 or more read messages sitting there.

I think I should better start trying the magic of the "delete" key.

4 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger JL said...

I always delete my emails at work... if i need something somebody else always keeps a copy :)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Anarion, Lord of Minas Anor said...

Personal mails are usually sent to the "lava pit" (TM). Even google mails.

Business mails are ALWAYS a good idea to store PLUS the company IS REQUIRED BY LAW to do so, even if you have erased it from your personal mail database (at least in the USA).

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Hector said...

The question is of course what is a Business email worth keeping?

Say someone sent you a file and you save the file.. do you need the email anymore? Of course if it is a contract is a different idea, but with intra-co business i am not so sure

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger  said...

Saving business e-mail is always a good idea. That way, if something goes wrong, you have all the evidence it is really someone else's fault. Even if you have to forge the evidence :)

"What? I sent you an email about it two days ago! Did't you get it? I have a copy right here..."
MWAHAHAHAHAA....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home